Friday, March 7, 2014

Webmaster

The following is a January 2014 email exchange between Will and Art.

Will:
I was thinking...it cracks me up that my alter ego is Will, but that yours is really not just Arthur, but Dr. Farthington.  Farthington, like Will, wants to impose order in Arthur's world, but it's an order that completely disrupts Will's sense of order.   
Simultaneously, his presence in the story tends to be my biggest obstacle...he consistently messes with the vice grip I'd like to have on the story.   
It's pretty awesome!
Art:
Indeed, that is interesting.   
And actually, here's another interesting factor: I have my own "vice grip," an Apollonian side of my own when it comes to certain things...a side that is coming out as I work on this blog (which attempts to bring order to the underlying chaos).  I guess that's Carlton Farthington in a sense, channeling Art and Will's efforts toward his own ends.   
I like a clean, polished, eminently intelligible interface...that's Apollonian.   It's not everything that I want it to be because I'm not a web designer (I want to hire one some day), but it's clearly something that I obsess about.   
Much of my content may be Dionysian, but, with this blog, I find myself searching for different ways of framing and organizing the material (naming conventions, labels, sidebar, and--when we have enough content--a horizontal navigation bar, possibly with drop-down menus). 
I don't want to edit the content of what we've posted, but, in my role as "webmaster," I will exert a strong editorial impulse to make sure everything fits within the organizational underpinnings of the blog. 
I originally thought that maybe we should spend a lot of time brainstorming exactly how to roll things out, etc. but I also wonder if we should just get a posting schedule going and give it a try for a while before evaluating it.  In some ways, I think the overarching architecture of the site will be what makes it all cohere. 
But, as Ezra Pound wrote in his Cantos, "I cannot make it cohere."

No comments: