Friday, December 4, 2015

What the Lord Hath Made Crooked (Part 6 of 10)

The following is a series of attached photos sent from Liza to the group. As usual, we publish typed excerpts of these illuminated texts along with the original photo. The best way is to read the text, of course, is to to experience it in its illuminated form.



Hand cramp. Let's give this beast another college try:
In the following passage, Dorothy is writing in response to discouragement: both that og which she finds roots internally and that which finds roots externally. The only thin is to be oblivious, as Peter is, and go right on. And so on I go...

Upon rationalizing general grievances regarding the cleanliness of the communities served by the Catholic workers, Dorothy suspends (or, perhaps detracts/) her thought. In correction, she writes,

"But what am I talking about? Why am I justifying myself and my family? I am ashamed of myself for getting indignant at such criticism. It just goes to show how much pride and self love I have. But it has been hard lately. Not only outside grumbling, but grumbling from within, the criticism, the complaints, the self doubting and questioning, the insidious discontent spread around by a few *- these trials are hard to bear. However, the thing is to bear these trials, these unavoidable trials. Patiently, to take them lightly, not to let them interfere with the work. The very fact that it is hard shows how weak I am. I should be happy, however, to think that God believes in me strong enough to bear these trials, otherwise I would not be having them. Father Lallemant says that we must beware when things are going too smoothly. That is the time when no progress is made.

Oh dear, I am reminded of St. Teresa, who said, "The devil sends me so offensive a bad spirit of temper that at times I think I could eat people up."
"The best thing for being [discouraged]," replied Merlyn "is to learn something. That is the only thing that never fails you. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world around you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honor trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then—to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the thing for you."
- (taking a page out of Art's book) The Once and Future King, T.H. White 

No comments: