Saturday, May 9, 2015

All-White Option

The following is an excerpt of an 8 March 2015 email exchange between Will and Art.



Art:
Oh, I forgot the other nearly all-white option. 
Concert for Bangladesh George Harrison. I could just go with the white suit and flip flops like I originally said way back when. Of course, in my current line of work, I can't grow the long hair and beard. Another reference I made way back when was the Brian Wilson on Letterman. I wish I could find that early 2000's video of him when they kept asking him questions at his piano across the stage and he couldn't answer them. 
I think just all white would be a safe bet. We could always go nautical with a little navy kerchief and/or ascot and a braided belt. Do we need to hire a style consultant? Actually, hold the phone! How about Carlos Santana and John McLaughlin in this one? Or this one
Actually Mahavishnu with the turtleneck sweater on the back cover would be perfect! That's totally me!
Will:
I've been thinking about accessories for Arthur. They seem to be of the highest importance. I can think of multiple ways to mess up. Too many of them will make Arthur into kind of a disco clown. If they are too nice, Arthur will seem far more preoccupied with style than he is. The stylishness should seem a little stiff or unnatural, since Will imposes it. If we underdo them, we'll miss out on what I'd call the liturgical aspect of an Arthur White performance--the idea that putting on a suit is akin to putting on vestments and that Arthur becomes a type of priest and the performance a spiritual ritual. A scarf worn as a stoll might work. 
I think about Meatloaf with that opera singer handkerchief thing he does. James Brown and Al Green did something like it, too...the frequent sweat mopping. So did Elvis. In my eyes, a better security blanket for Arthur is a rosary. I think having it hang out of the suit partially when Arthur's hands are busy makes sense, and keeping it in his hand and marking off silent Hail Marys would really distinguish Arthur from other performers. 
It would also mark our project clearly but in a subtle manner.

No comments: