Saturday, January 9, 2016

We Must Probe It From the Outset (Part 4 of 5)

The following is a series of attached photos sent from Liza to the group. As usual, we publish typed excerpts of these illuminated texts along with the original photo. The best way is to read the text, of course, is to to experience it in its illuminated form.




D. On Finding Aesthetics Within Anaesthetics

The concluding sentence on the previous page is most certainly most overused quote; especially while teaching. While the decline of the 'aura' of both works of art & human experiences is troubling on the one hand, the other hand is encouraging. Are you with me up until this point? I hope so (though I'm barely with myself, you see). Through this panoramic viewpoint, it's clear to me that our most effective mode of transportation back to the garden is by boarding the motorized machine. We must utilize the simulation as our best weapon against simulation. I'm reminded in the previous sentence of a sentence from my previous letter: →"To look upon this horror and utilize our repulsion to propel us closer to God is the most brutal form of attack against this demonic presence." Also of an e-mail I sent to Art back in May: "I think one can simultaneously scorn the regurgitory culture and utilize it for its instrumental value in understanding American mythos. To me, total immersion into the circling pools of excremental matter is the best way to stay afloat. By reconfiguring our submission, we can then make guppy-like journeys away from these subjective surfaces in search of the depths of objective truth. Understand it we may not ever, but we mustn't let our befuddlement blockade our probing! "It is so much simpler to bury reality than it is to dispose of dreams. This is why we "can't sit back and let something grow of its own momentum. [We] must probe it from the outset."

No comments: