Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A Sketchbook for the Project (Part 1 of 3)

The following is an excerpt from a 17 October 2014 email exchange between Art and Will. 

Charles Le Brun - Daedalus and Icarus - WGA12535
Daedalus and Icarus by Charles Le Brun
 Art:
I'm tired of holding things back just because perfection is out of reach. 
I want to be generous with this pittance of loaves and fishes. And I think it's not just etymological coincidence that generosity generates something. Once I get the camera on my Macbook fixed, I'm going to start performing, posting and embedding YouTube videos of those performances. "Basement Songs" or something of the like. Usually, I will have Francis strapped to my chest with a baby carrier. Usually, I will make several mistakes, but I will do my best to put my best foot forward. I'd love it if some musicians would take those videos and record their own guitar solo over the top--nothing fancy, an impromptu audition--and send it back for me to post: to potentially bring that dynamic to what is currently an esoteric, elitist, one-way proposition. Not saying anyone will bite, but at least we'll be exuding a little more openness. 
And if someone takes something and becomes a millionaire (that's not arrogance, just a thought experiment), all the better... 
It means that things are moving: the once-stagnant waters rush, the once-imprisoned Daedelus and Icarus fly, and the once-involuted labyrinth evolves into a journey.
Will:
I really like the blog. 
It took me a while, but I get it now. I'm wondering if in this new spirit of generosity it might make sense to have a spot on it, maybe under Farthington's profile, that briefly explains what the project is so that we can make it slightly more accessible. Video and music will definitely help in that regard, too.  
I'm working on setting up JamKazam on my computer. It could open up a lot of options for me and for us. For one, we could have virtual Arthur White concerts: no video, just sound. We could perform with anyone who can use the free program. We could host Arthur White jam nights (they frequently host jam nights with tons of random strangers playing together). 
It's a very approachable company--the owner has contacted me a few times! It's an option that didn't exist when we started. It also makes multi-track recordings, so we or other people could tweak, add, or subtract whatever we like. It would allow for the sketching of a lot of concepts, and right now, that's the beauty of the blog: it's basically the sketchbook for the project, if it isn't more or less the project itself these days.

No comments: