Sunday, October 19, 2014

Crowdsourcing a Legend

The following is an excerpt of an email sent from Art to Will on 8 September 2014.

Leonard Cohen 2187-edited.jpg
"Leonard Cohen 2187-edited" by Rama - Own work. Via Wikimedia Commons.
One idea that might fit into this last, Third-Person-of-the-Holy-Trinity "phase" could be covers of the songs by other bands, which is very appealing to me.

Can we have such a short, diminutive second phase and just move directly to the third?

What does it say that the second phase was so brief? What would be some other manifestations of this phase? Obviously, this is a kind of metatext very different from the ones that belong to the second stage. And this all lines up nicely with a "Second Coming": The Return of Arthur White!

I guess I first got turned onto this third moment when I showed up in Metro Detroit, recorded my stuff, and left. I heard it again about a month later: people had recorded background vocals, bass, rhythm and lead guitar, and keyboards. Maybe this is nothing to write home about, but that's the feel I'm going for. In part, it's due to my family life situation that I'd love to have the Leonard Cohen gig where I'm up on that Zen mountaintop. I suppose everyone would love that. But it is somehow consonant with the basic thrust of the project.

Maybe a benefit/tribute concert for the catatonic Arthur, where we arrange to have bands play covers or even original songs dedicated to him (I'm not a Pink Floyd fan, but like "Wish You Were Here").

Maybe a call for songs--crowdsourcing a legend.

I don't know how much work it takes to get that flywheel spinning. Probably a lot of the traditional "grinding": writing music, doing shows, recording video/audio footage, etc. But one of the main points of the project is getting a myth going with a minimum of "substance"--this, of course, being one of the characteristic features of the Internet age.

Maybe I'm talking crazy.

No comments: