Thursday, February 13, 2014

Icelandia

The following is an excerpt from emails sent from Art to Will on 16 September 2013.

Okay, one more thing: I want the band to be somewhat keyboard heavy.  The organ, a Wurlitzer or Fender Rhodes electric piano, and/or one or more era-appropriate synthesizers are all on the wish list for Apotheosis.

Long story short, I want to achieve some disturbing effects reminiscent of Marvin Gaye's later, commercial flop albums.  Guitar, bass, and drums will still be central of course (sax is fine too), but I really want Apotheosis to have that keyboard-heavy signature.  I might disguise my hobbyist Yamaha keyboard so as to be able to use it.  I've been able to find some of the sounds I want on it.

I'd love for you to keep writing.  Would it be best to get the writing totally done first, so as to be better able to approach people with the full vision?  Maybe I could get the songs written, recorded, and uploaded during that same period.  I think it makes sense to work on this just the two of us until we are ready to bring people in and tell them exactly what to do.  That would mean the songs written, recorded, and uploaded, and the script written.

Does that sound like a good idea?  I think we often got the cart before the horse for the previous show.  It's fun and exciting to jump the gun a little bit and get practicing--building the plane as we're flying it, so to speak--but I think that approach often left us playing catch up and cutting corners.  How many cliches can you use in two sentences?

If you're starting to think of ideas for the show, I need there to be a volcano model that will be used to demonstrate the explosion, spraying lava on at least one member of the band.  I also think there should be persistent misunderstandings about Iceland coming through in the press conference, such as the idea that Iceland is made entirely of ice, making lava an even more catastrophic event!

I also think we need a real graphic artist to design the "CONCERT FOR ICELAND featuring Arthur White and Rustyy Kryystyylz with a Special Appearance by Dr. Carlton Farthington" posters around town (I've already mentioned the close-up with Dr. Farthington cuddling with the orphaned Icelandic toddler).  I think I may need to write a song titled "Icelandia."  

No comments: