Monday, February 8, 2016

Those Who Sow in Tears

The following is an excerpt of a 31 October 2015 email exchange between Will and Art.

Rembrandt St. Paul in Prison.jpg
St. Paul in Prison by Rembrandt

Will:
The podcast my friends Russ and Fred run has a structure that could work for us.  Basically, Russ tells the story of the inspiration behind one of his songs and then plays the song.  We could run a similar structure: Legends of Arthur White, in which we tell a story about Arthur that May or may not be true and end with a song from the era we address.  The whole, "correct" story could be told in another medium, and a podcast could go in multiple contradictory directions without any issues.
Art:
I noticed that; that's a really good idea.  
I feel too hampered, hobbled, hindered to accomplish that (or anything beyond emails and practicing songs with Francis). I'm not enjoying my small sharing in the swaddled/crucified existence right now. Half wishing the Benefactor could make all of this go away. But I'm sure Paul and John the Baptist and so many other heroes of the faith felt the same when they were imprisoned, their lives and voice snuffed out. But as Paul writes us from his prison cell: "Nothing can separate us from the love of God through Christ Jesus." 
I'm having a hard time believing this, both with teaching and with this project (Psalm 126:5-6): 
Those who sow in tears
shall reap with cries of joy 
Those who go forth weeping,
carrying sacks of seed,
Will return with cries of joy,
carrying their bundled sheaves.
will reap with cries of joy.  
I feel like I'm sowing in tears; I just don't believe the second part. Help my unbelief! 
I'm not sure what you were imagining with the podcast, but if you were able to create and host the show (along with the theme music, bumpers, etc.), you could actually just run the whole thing. 
What about having guests on who would learn the songs, possibly bringing their own interpretive flair, and play them up in T.C.? Then, you could call me on the phone (there are ways to set this up for podcasts) and see what I thought. When appropriate, you and I could provide some background about the song and it's meaning. I could just be myself or I could get into the Arthur White role. I could also play the song from my home, either instead of or in addition to the other person performing it. 
Alternatively, we could discuss some of the story lines. But I still like the idea of me being only a relatively small part of the show.

No comments: