Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Haunted by God (Part 6 of 6)

The following is one of a series of attached photos sent from Liza to the group during her electronics-limited "dispersed camping expedition" through the Keweenaw Peninsula during the month of August 2015. We will publish short excerpts of these illuminated texts over the course of the next several days along with a corresponding portion of the original photo.

The best way is to read the text, of course, is to to experience it illuminated and in its entirety, following Liza's directions.



Art (and others),

Onward with your cc'ing. I remain in my silence as captivated as I was in my communication. As you know, Connor and I are now on day 11 of our dispersed camping excursion through the Keweenaw. We've slept alongside the Huron River, atop mountains, on the outskirts of ghost towns and Native American burial grounds and a long-ago abandoned Catholic cemetery, deep within a national forest, and under the stars on the stamp sands of Lake Superior.

It was on these sands, early this morning, that I came across a passage in The Writings of Dorothy Day in which she quotes Dostoevsky's Kirilov. "All my life," he says, I have been haunted by God."

That is the way it is on these mountains, along these riverbanks, in these woods, deep within these plantations of God. That feeling is everywhere around me here now. Nature, when not yet rearranged by man, reminds me more than anything else of this world just how it feels to be haunted by God. So, for the time being, I remain in the clouds of this thread and in the clouds of the Keweenaw.

What wealth to me this show has brought.

Liza 8/12/'15

No comments: