Friday, June 10, 2016

It's OK to be Different

The following is an excerpt of an email sent from Liza to the group on 3 December 2015.

Liza's Classroom Door

A quick note on your most recent messages regarding Vern. At school on Monday, each teacher had to pick a country, research its winter holiday traditions, and then decorate his/her respective classroom door with representations of said holiday traditions. You know, to show how much we really care about diversity, how accepting and tolerant we all are of other people's beliefs, traditions, and cultural background here in America. Oh and also, you know, to celebrate Christmas at school by disguising our celebration of Christmas at school. 'Cause, like, we can take different, we can totally sometimes embrace it even, just so long as it's kept over there. Just so long as we can pick and choose whose difference we take, and to what extent we embrace it.

In case the suspense is killing you, which I'm sure it isn't, I chose Iceland. I'll take a picture of my door at school tomorrow and send it to y'all for a good holiday laugh. It adds a whole new dimension to "sanitized and repurposed" pagan figures.


My Yule Cat looks how I imagine a Belle & Sebastian song would look were it a cat, yet somehow more twee. As for the Yule Lad and the Gryla I made out of construction paper, they've got impish undertones, but they've been mostly Disneyfied.


The teachers and administration at school are currently very generously accepting of me, having taken me in for the purple-haired "hippie" wyrdo I am. Had I thrown in the additional element of children-eating pagans on my classroom door, though, people would have surely began to talk.

It's OK to be different, you see, but not that different. And it's perfectly acceptable to believe in traditions that others may not understand or even totally tolerate, but only if you're believing in that weird stuff in some far off exotic country that I can explore through a screen at my leisure so that I may then decorate my door in homage to your people, in acceptance of your people, way over there, please stay way over there.

No comments: