Wednesday, April 6, 2016

We Are Analog Creatures (Part 1 of 5)

The following is an email and attachment sent from Liza to the group on 30 November 2015.


Monday greetings to old friends and new,

Excuse my absence over these past couple of months. I've been leisurely absorbing your messages, all the while jotting down questions, notes, ideas, complete sentences, sentence fragments, and all the word streams in between into a palm-sized scratch-pad. I'm hoping to upload it your way(s) after class this evening.

In the meantime, here's a cut-up poem I created during a Dadaist exercise I explored with my students last week.  The words were cut at random from the pages of our poorly written textbook, Vol. 8 of The Believer, and a printed transcript of an interview Krista Tippett conducted with Pico Iyer for her podcast On Being. Though unintentional, as I look over the completed poem now, it thematically encapsulates the unifying message of the scrawled pages I soon will send. A prologue for you, from one analog creature to the next.

I hope each of your Thanksgivings were saturated with love, beauty, bliss, and gratitude. I'm endlessly thankful for the abundance of blessings that surround my existence in this world, one of which is your continual communication with one another and with me.  Your collective words, and your separate selves, are immeasurably powerful and moving, admired and appreciated.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Inspired and humbled, as ever,

Liza

No comments: