Tuesday, March 15, 2016

The Paralysis of Perfectionism

The following is an excerpt of an email sent from Art to the group on 14 November 2015.

Idylls of the King 3.jpg
"Edyrn with His Lady and Dwarf Journey to Arthur's Court" by Gustave Doré

As to the project's trajectory, I agree with everything you've said.

Like you, I want to avoid the paralysis of perfectionism. I want to do what we can do. We're doing that now by emailing like this. But we need to do that with music. I don't want to put too many unnecessary obstacles in our path.

The only thing I would add to your "getting the music out to people as quickly as possible" idea is that I want it to be you, Max, and Father hammering it out instrumentally. For several reasons that we've talked about ad nauseam, I want to recede from all instrumentality, defined as "the fact or quality of serving as an instrument or means to an end." John the Baptist's I must decrease, King Arthur and Camelot's implied nonexistence, etc. I really would like Father to take over on keyboards and have him or John Paul play bass.

I want to facilitate that process so Arthur White can just be the voice crying out.

As I've thought about it some more, I'm open to the July 4, 2016 Joe Lazarus album still. But my openness stems from the idea that it will be you, Max, Father and ideally John Paul at the fore, learning, polishing, and recording the songs. I don't think I'm being a diva in saying I think it behooves the project to have Arthur White remain on the fringes of anything instrumental or otherwise project driven.

So, what I'm thinking of doing is creating that same type of linked set list for the Joe Lazarus album. Then ask Father to learn and develop keyboard parts. I'm not sure you can approach John Paul about participating. I'll try to record a non-drum version (click track at beginning) for you since you can't use Garage Band anymore.

Another part of my openness comes from the thematic material of these songs. I think "Selling My Gold" is especially prescient. The other ones likewise seem to be gaining greater prophetic heft by the day.

Finally and most importantly, we need to keep praying.

No comments: