Saturday, February 14, 2015

Will's Canon of Influences Countdown - #1

I was just thinking that a nice entry or series of entries for the blog might be a list of some of the records that have inspired the project directly or indirectly. Maybe we could each do a top ten!

1. Winter in America Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson


A lot of the lyrics that I've donated to the cause are influenced by Gil Scott-Heron.  My confirmation name is John after John the Baptist, and as weak as my faith was back in 8th grade, I at least already had a great love for voices in the desert. I see Arthur White as being a voice in the desert in similar ways to Gil Scott-Heron. They've both got that prophetic insight and a relentless will to say things people don't want to hear. I'm not sure Arthur can see himself as a revolutionary, though...he just feels compelled to share his visions. I almost went with the album Bridges for "We Almost Lost Detroit." At any rate, Gil Scott-Heron is probably the most important influence to me on that series of songs Arthur wrote in the 70's that prophesy the 2010's.

No comments: